In this issue:
- Student of the Month: Madison Stofer
- Teacher of the Month: Brooke Lewis
- September Make-up Class Schedule
- Trick-or-Treat – October 28 – 6-8pm
- Cancellation and Make-Up Policy
- Practice Tips
Musicology 2017-2018 Calendar
The school will be closed and no lessons will be taught on the following dates:
- September 4, 2017 – Labor Day
- November 21-24, 2017 – Thanksgiving Break
- December 25-30, 2017 – Christmas Break
- January 1, 2018 – New Year’s Day
- March 12-17, 2018 – Spring Break
- May 28, 2018 – Memorial Day
- July 3-7, 2018 – Summer Break
- September 3, 2018 – Labor Day
- November 20-24, 2018 – Thanksgiving Break
- December 24-31, 2018 – Christmas Break
Please make a note of these dates on your calendar.
Teacher of the Month: Brooke Lewis
Which instruments to you teach at Musicology?
I teach piano and voice at Musicology.
How long have you been teaching music?
I have been teaching off-and-on for two years.
What do you like the most about teaching music?
I love seeing my students’ eyes light up when concepts click. And laughing with them!
What is your favorite type of music?
I love folk, classic, and Disney music.
What are your hobbies, besides music?
I love to hike, camp, and cook.
What is your favorite kind of food?
Chinese takeout is my favorite food.
Do you have any children or pets?
I don’t have children or pets, but if I had a pet, it would be a golden retriever named Cosmo from Seinfeld.
Student of the Month: Madison Stofer
What kind of lessons do you take at Musicology, and how long have you taken them?
Drums for about a year.
Who is your teacher?
Mr. Michael Elliott
What is the best thing you have learned from your teacher?
Arabella by Arctic Monkeys
What are your hobbies, besides music?
What is your favorite food?
What is your favorite song?
Holding on to You by Twenty One Pilots
Trick-or-Treat – Madison Campus – October 28th, 6-8pm. Come dressed in your Halloween Costume and Trick-or-Treat from lesson room to lesson room! We will have Halloween Treats and our Rock Bands will be the entertainment!
September Make-Up Class Schedule
- Piano: Monday, 9/11 – 5pm-6pm
- Guitar: Thursday, 9/14 – 7-8pm &
- Saturday, 9/23 – 11am-12pm
- Voice: Tuesday, 9/12 – 6pm-7pm
- Strings: Saturday, 9/16 – 11am-12pm
- Drums: Saturday, 9/9 – 12pm-1pm
To be added to a make-up class, please call (256) 489-0426
Cancellations and Make-Ups
For any lessons missed by a teacher, the school will attempt to provide a substitute teacher. If a substitute teacher is unavailable, a private makeup lesson with the teacher will be scheduled promptly. For any lesson missed by a student, the school holds one-hour group make up classes. To sign up for a make up class, contact the office or sign up online at musicologyhuntsville.com. Do not contact the instructor for a date and time.
If you cannot attend one of your lessons, please contact us as soon as possible. Missed lessons that are not canceled in advance are forfeited. Students who cancel a lesson with notice are eligible for a group make-up lesson.
10 Practice Tips For Making Your Practice Time Really Count!
- Practice a little EVERY DAY; this is far more beneficial than one or two long practice sessions per week.
- Have a certain time each day that is set aside specifically for your practice. It will then become part of your daily routine.
- Split your daily practice into even smaller time chunks; e.g.: technical work in the morning and pieces/songs in the afternoon/evening.
- Learn each piece one phrase at a time. Practice each phrase S-L-O-W-L-Y until you have it, and then go to the next phrase.
- Starting at the beginning of the piece and playing through it to the end each time you practice is not an effective use of your time! You are merely practicing mistakes!
- Don’t practice mistakes, or you will become very good at playing them!
- Sometimes start in the middle of your piece and work to the end.
- Regularly record yourself and listen carefully to it.
- Practice the hard bits – not just the bits you like.
- Listen to your pieces being played by the great players.